Saturday, December 29, 2007

Christmas

I am in a black period. My glasses broke, I left my atm card in a machine (this makes for a 5 week ordeal) and I let my computer get stolen by a girl I've known for a year and allowed to sleep in while I went to show some visitors around. Very probably gonna get fired. Plus I lost almost everything I wrote since leaving the US (that didn't get printed somewhere). yeesh.

Christmas Eve day I woke up in a short-time hotel and after a good 20 minutes of pure post-blackout terror, listening to female voices through the wall, I stumbled down the stairs, past a giggling cleaning lady and into the bar my room had been two floors above. I opened the door onto a glinting and bustling party, the room decked out in Christmas decorations, with "Marshmallow World" blaring and seemingly a hundred girls wearing mini-skirt sex-elf outfits sitting on old men's laps and leaning against the bar and eyeing me like "where the hell did he come from?" as I'd just come in through the employee entrance. Very disorienting. I went up to the bar and put down the room keys and asked for my bill. They told me I'd paid already and asked me if I wanted a drink. I was about to order a code-red-gimme-a-coffee coffee but suddenly remembered something that hadn't registered before. Minutes earlier, when I had left the room I had first found a bathroom in the hall and gone straight for it. On the way in I noticed out of the corner of my eye a sort of dorm room with bunkbeds. When I left the toilet, the door had been closed. Later downstairs in the bar I realized this is where all the girls live, in bunkbeds above the bar. I found this unspeakably sad and felt like I had intruded on their world by having seen it. So I split, in a hurry.

I continued this four day bender on Soi Cowboy and later doing cocaine on the 33rd floor of a building called State Tower in Bangrak with this hot Canadian girl who is living out a cross between Leaving Las Vegas and Bad Lieutenant because she's losing her job in January. We were on her patio, 33 floors above Bangkok, with the river in front of us babbling at each other about God and His guidance through tough times when there was this really loud "pppppffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft" sound and a fireworks display went off directly in front of us, over the river. I swear to God it was at eye level and close enough so you could smell the gunpowder. I almost fucking cried.

Pretty sure this whole thing is coming to a major wipeout/moving in with my father end