Tuesday, July 28, 2020

THIS AIN'T FUNNY BUT IT'S WICKED COOL/HIGH SCHOOL

When I was a teenager in the 80's, I saw the Butthole Surfers live. I have been trying to figure out what album they were on tour for. It was definitely after Locust Abortion Technician and before piouhgd, like 1988 or something. They were setting up and tuning their instruments and getting ready to play. There were 2 movies being shown on screens above the band: one was a kung fu movie and the other was the footage of a vasectomy procedure. They were tuning up as the character in the kung fu movie was talking to a guy. I could not look at the vasectomy, it was fucking gross. When the guy in the kung fu movie kicked the other guy, the band kicked in in perfect time with the movie. It was fucking cool. For the finale, Gibby Haynes lit the whole fucking stage on fire. He poured rubbing alcohol everywhere, not just on the drums or around him, but everywhere. He lit a match and it all went up the show was over when the fire went out.

I should write this down: when I was in high school, we were in history class and our teacher Mr. Reidy could not pronounce his R's and L's. We called him Wabbit Weidy. I'm not kidding, this really happened: he asked the kid behind me--Will McNary-- "Wiw, whewe did the Wenaissance begin?" and Will said, "...Itawy?"  The entire class made that snorting noise you make when you're holding in a laugh. Mr Reidy threw Will out of class immediately.


No comments: