Tuesday, July 20, 2021

SOME STUFF ABOUT SUN RA/ ANGEL DUST/ MORE STUFF ABOUT DEE DEE


 When I was 20 years old I went and saw Sun Ra live even though no one under 21 was allowed. I used my brother's ID. I also wore nice clothes, I'm not kidding I wore the same sweater that guy called me a loser in. I remember when I gave the door guy the fake ID he looked at me and said "This doesn't even look like you" me and my brother have never looked alike at all. I had ID that said I was 26. He was thinking it over but decided to let me in, thankfully. 

This was the same week the new Batman movie had come out. Prince did the soundtrack and Michael Keaton played Batman. Everyone was into it. Sun Ra came out in a real chair. He had just had a stroke, he got out of the chair and walked fast hunched over to a piano saying, "I just wrote this." and started singing the Batman theme, with the words, "I am the bat man." Then he got behind the piano and did a whole song based on Batman. It was fucking cool. Then he played a whole show. He even did "Space is the Place' and he had his Arkestra with him. This is 25 fucking old guys playing all sorts of instruments. It was awesome. 

Years later in the same part of town I was on a first date with a girl I had a big crush on. I still fucking have a crush on this girl. It's incredible. We went to a show, I forget what band but it was at the Middle East and there was this huge Japanese guy I knew there. He offered us weed. He was smoking a joint, "Do you want any?" We were like, "Hell Yeah." We smoked it and I was immediately too stoned. My vision became like a fucking tunnel and I couldn't deal with anything. I turned to the girl and said, "I need to leave" and fucking left. I went across the street where there was a McDonalds and laid down in the bushes in front. I fucking slept there for a couple hours and then went home. Ten years later this girl is at my house. For a decade I've been wondering what the hell happened. We hadn't talked since this night. The girl says, "Remember the time that guy gave us Angel Dust?" That explains it. 

As a form of protest, one time Dee Dee stole like a dozen chicks from a chicken factory near us. So we had the fucking cutest little things in a box in the basement. For weeks they looked wicked cute and    made little peep noises. Talk about cute. One day they became adolescents, like 10 days in. They were no longer cute and they were kinda big and they shit everywhere. They made horrible noises. I remember being terrified that our father would hear. They were making a fucking racket. Eventually Dee Dee fucking returned them to the factory. We never told my father anything. Years and years later after Dee Dee had died I told my father this story. He said, "I didn't know that at all." He had no idea we had a fucking dozen chickens squawking in the cellar. 

No comments: