Tuesday, October 12, 2021

COOL CARD


 Sorry I gotta do this. One time in like 2000 me and a guy I worked with went to Las Vegas for a weekend of garage rock called Viva Las Vegas. Fucking Mick Collins was playing with a band called The Screws. I couldn't believe that. Also all these bands I had heard of but never seen were playing. The show was opened by a band called The Stitches. They sounded like The New York Dolls but the lead singer was some kind of comedian, he was that funny. After a song he said, "Sorry my voice is scratchy, I've been smoking... Pole, that is." Funny. At one point I was in a elevator with fucking Mick Collins.

On Sunday I had all day to kill.  It was fucking 110ish, it was really hot so I went to the pool and dove in. In one corner it was Dick Manatoba from The Dictators, they were playing that night. They were the headliners. Dead Moon had been the headliners on Saturday and they were in the pool with us. The drummer was fucking green. At one point he went back to bed and I was in the pool with Dick Manitoba and Dead Moon. Fucking cool. Manitoba told stories. Eventually Dead Moon left the pool and me and Dick Manitoba and another guy stayed. Eventually I learned that this guy had created this magazine I loved and it had failed and disapeared in the 80s. It was called Crazy Magazine. It was fucking funny as shit. They had a Dear Abby type of thing but instead of Abby they had this offensive and mean clown called' Obnoxio the Clown.' When The Simpsons had Krusty the Klown my theory was they were referring to Obnoxio. Crazy Magazine was awesome. Here's an article that will explain the magazine. https://www.bandsiusetalike.com/biul/i-go-crazy/

Did I mention fucking Dick Manitoba was in the pool? You  know the crazy thing is we were both sober all day. He would perform later that night and The Dictators yelled about Brooklyn ruling so much I hated it. At one point I looked and standing next to me was fucking David Arquette. 

1 comment:

icki said...

One of my favorite moments of that day was before Handsome Dick got in the pool, I remember him exclaiming (to no one and everyone): "It's a beautiful day for the world's handsomest man!" Or something to that effect. Ridiculous and perfect. What an amazing time.