Wednesday, January 26, 2022

THE GRITTY MISSION DISTRICT


I lived in the Mission kind of a lot. For awhile I was at 21st and Harrison and there was a taco wagon within walking distance and a taco window on the corner from my apartment. It was awesome. Eventually I went inside and ate at the restaurant that had the window. I had never been there and ordered enchiladas. They came with fucking cactus. The cactus was succulent and in a pile between the rice and the enchiladas. Fucking good. 
It was just me and a family in the restaurant. The family was totally real deal Mexican people. There was a big screen tv at the counter, you couldn't not watch it. It was back when big screens had those 3 lights at the bottom of the screen. This was some early big screen shitiness. Whatever, I watched anyway. It was a bullfight and I was watching the tv. I noticed that all the matadors were dying and I figured out that it was some Faces Of Death on tv. I hated that stuff. I saw that it was called Toro Del Muerte. It was thankfully silent.
At one point the family called the waiter over and gestured to the tv. I remember thinking, "Thank Christ they're turning off people dying." The waiter went over and turned up the volume, they were totally watching it. 

No comments: