Wednesday, January 19, 2022

THE LONG WALK

I moved in with my father in Florida in 2008 or 9. I had just left Thailand so it was the definitely '08. When I got picked up by my father at the airport, we went to Osco Drug so I could buy something. I fucking shit my pants in there somehow. Then I had my father drop me off at Starbucks so I could use the wifi. It was like 9am. The idea was to work all day and make some money. 

When my father left Starbucks I went over to my table and there was no wifi. They had wifi at Starbucks in fucking Bangkok so I assumed they would have it here too. They didn't because Florida sucks. The girl behind the counter said, "We don't have wifi but they have it at Wendy's if you wanna walk to it." So I was like, "Yeah, I have to," so I left Starbucks and started walking to Wendy's.

It was fucking easily 100 degrees. I was in direct sunlight on the highway. Wendy's was fucking miles away. This was Florida, I assumed shit was all a mile apart but it was fucking 10 miles easy. I remember at one point I was thinking, "Wendy's has to be nearby.." I was pouring sweat. I finally got to Wendy's and they had wifi. I ordered food and started working. Eventually I couldn't write anymore and had to go home. 

I didn't see phone booths or phones anywhere. I realized Wendy's doesn't have a phone. Literally no one did. At this point I had to keep walking, I walked another 10 miles to the next Osco Drug. Hopefully they would have some phones. Thank Christ they did and I was able to call my father and have him come get me. This was my first day after moving in with my father. It totally got worse. 

1 comment:

Special Lord B. said...

Damn dude, not hitchhiking even though it was 10 miles and 10000 degrees says all you need to know about florida