Tuesday, June 1, 2021

BRIDE OF PINBOT


 I used to really love pinball. I hung out at this diner in Harvard Square called Tommy's Lunch that had a lot of pinball tables and excellent Italian subs. They had a fucking Monte Cristo sandwich. Do you know what these are? It's french toast as the bread and there is ham, turkey and cheese melted in and they serve it with fucking syrup. It's so good I would go there a lot for just that. They also had pinball. There had been this game in the early 80s called Pinbot, it was one of the first electronic games. When you got multi-ball going some robot eyes would raise from the top of the table and you had to hit them to make it go down. It was hard and shitty but cool. I remember I liked it. Then one time while I was at Tommy's Lunch, they had both Funhouse and Earth Shaker. I love Funhouse, but Earth Shaker had a tornado in the upper right corner, it has a tornado you have to get your ball into and as it went down the table shook and became an earthquake. It was not easy but you could do it. 

I loved these games so when Bride of Pinbot appeared I was psyched. I played it a lot. Basically you assemble her and then fuck her and she's a robot. The machine actually says, "The music turns me on!" when you get shit going basically. Fucking cool. They totally sample this in the song, "Paid in Full" by Eric B & Rakim. I was 21 at the time. I took acid for the first time. I took it alone and sat in my living room cranking music. I remember Jimmy Hendrix Electric Lady Land. Especially the song Crosstown Traffic totally blew my mind. Also I heard the Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key Of Life album. The keyboards on that are wicked psychedelic. It was awesome. I remember in the middle of all of this while I was puking, a shiny glistening metallic robot appeared. I'm not kidding, I was tripping on acid and Bride of Pinbot was visiting me. This was fucking amazing. I hate this word amazing but that is the only way to describe what happened. 

No comments: