Tuesday, November 30, 2021

SONIC YOUTH STUFF


 One time I saw Sonic Youth opening for Neil Young at The Worchester Centrum. This is a stadium. I went there a lot in highschool. I saw Peter Gabriel, U2, Pink Floyd, a lot of shit there. And then Neil with Sonic Youth, it was late night. They were having the Grammys. Sonic Youth took the stage, Thurston grabbed a microphone and said, "Who gives a fuck about a god damned Grammy?" and they started playing. This is a Public Enemy line, people know that, right? Then they played songs from their early days that was kind of incredible. I had seen them 5 times at this point and they never played these old songs, but they did that night. Pretty cool. 

The first time I saw them was in North Hampton, Mass. This is where Sebadoh and Dinosaur Jr. are from. During the show I look and fucking J Mascis was next to me. The opening band had members of Pussy Galore in it. It was called STP. I didn't know what that stood for but they were awesome. 

Another time when I saw Sonic Youth was in Las Vegas. Our roommates friend was playing in the opening band (XBXRX). We didn't tell him we were going, we just suddenly showed up at his show. Then we hung out with fucking Sonic Youth after he played. This was after Bull in the Heather but before Washing Machine. They were good but totally at the tail end of being a band. 

3 comments:

Special Lord B. said...

looking down and seeing you in the pit 20 seconds into our first some made the back of my head explode! Thanks for making that memory happen my brother!

Blood Club said...

Hi Mike! Great to read your writing after all these years. I remember STP and always thought it was just borrowed from the oil company. I saw Sonic Youth in Austin and Thurston was all pissed because his amp speaker was blown out. Sounded great tho. Sister tour (I’m ancient). Cheers from NYC!

Blood Club said...

(It’s Lew)