Tuesday, September 1, 2020

THE BLIZZARD OF '78

In 1978 there was a week-long blizzard in New England. It came at the tail end of Christmas vacation so we literally had a month off of school. I basically jumped off roofs of houses into 9 foot snow drifts for a month, it was awesome. Every kid I knew had a fucking runny nose for a looong time. When they called us back to school the bus came and got me. We were halfway to the school and somebody started the Queen "We Will Rock You" foot stomp -- "Boom Boom Ch, Boom Boom Ch" -- everybody joined in. They started chanting, "Hell no, we won't go". I was 8 years old so I was afraid to join in, this was some 5th grader shit. When we got to the school none of them got off the bus, I sat in my seat and didn't move. I learned from my drunk a-hole father that moving when anything was going on made you a target. Back then any question was answered with 'None of your business." We were all on the bus and the principal (Mr Daniels) came on with a dustpan and brush.  Anyone that went to Willard School knows exactly what he looked like, he looked like a cross between Alec Trebek and Larry Bird. The people on this list include Jessie Bilodeaux, Colin Nissan, Jimmy McSweeney, Kirsten Rarich, Karen Dronzek, Robbie McCormick, Bonnie Hills, and a fucking thousand more. Anyway Mr. Daniels got everyone's attention by banging the dust pan and brush together. Then he threatened to call our parents if people didn't get off the bus. The kids did that. We all got in a line and went to school.

No comments: